top of page
Image by ConvertKit


This page is for guidance purpose only


European Economic Area

If you are a European Economic Area (EEA), European Union (EU) or Swiss national, you do not need a visa to study in the UK.

Other Nationals

All other nationals will need a visa to study at CSL.

CSL will give you as much visa information as possible, but it is your responsibility to find out if you need a visa to study at CSL and to apply in the correct way for the visa you need.

Do I need a visa?

You can check if you need a visa by contacting your local British Embassy or by checking the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) website.

Those classed as ‘visa nationals' will need to apply for a visa in advance.

Those classed as ‘non-visa nationals' are not required to apply in advance unless they are looking to study an English language course over 6 months.

Please visit this section of the UKVI website for further information.

For those applying for a visa in advance, it can take up to 8 weeks for a decision to be made. We advise you to apply as early as possible, as this varies from country to country.

Short-term Study Visas

At CSL we hold accreditation from Accreditation UK (British Council and English UK) which allows us to enrol and teach international students on short-term study visas.

The short-term study visa will allow you to study in the UK for up to 6 months to study a short course or up to 11 months to study an English Language course.

If you are under 18, you are allowed to study in the UK for up to 6 months on a short-term student (child) visa. You must have permission from your parent or guardian to stay in the UK and you must pre-arrange your accommodation.

You are not allowed to work, whether it is voluntary or paid, and you cannot extend or change your visa in the UK. You must leave the UK before the permitted end date.

I want to apply for a course at CSL and need a visa. What should I do?

  1. Please complete our application form .  Please forward a copy of your valid passport to verify your identity. You may be requested to produce further documents. Once processed and we are satisfied you meet our criteria, you will receive an Offer Letter.

  2. You will have 30 days to accept the offer and make arrangements to pay for your course. If you are a sponsored student, you will need to provide us with a letter from your sponsor stating that they will pay for your studies.

  3. Once we receive payment for your course, we will issue a Visa Support Letter to prove your acceptance onto the course. This letter along with your Offer Letter will need to be provided to the visa authorities as part of your visa application.

How do I apply for a Short-term Study Visa?

  1. You need to apply for a Short-term study visa in your home country.

  2. Provide evidence that you have enough money to pay for your course and to live.

  3. You do not need to prove your English level.  However, you may need to prove that you have a good reason to learn English in the UK, and that you will return to your country when your course finishes.

  4. You will need to provide biometric data (fingerprints). You cannot ask a representative to go in your place.

Applying via an agent

If you are applying to us through an agent in your country, you should be able to get help with the visa application and with completing the visa application form.

Applying Directly to CSL

If you are applying to CSL direct, you will need to complete a visa application form yourself. For full details and further visa information, please visit the UKVI website 

Receiving your visa/collecting your biometric residence permit

Once your visa application is processed and if you have been granted a short-term study visa, you will need to make sure you have the correct documentation when entering the UK - especially if you are studying for more than 6 months.

If you are studying for less than 6 months and are granted a short-term study visa, your passport will contain a vignette (sticker) which will cover the duration of your visit. Please ensure the dates on the visa are correct and cover the duration of your course.

If you are studying for more than 6 months and are granted a short-term study visa, your passport will contain a vignette which is valid for 30 days only, which will allow you to enter the UK. You will also receive a Decision Letter from UKVI - you must keep this safe and take this with you when entering the UK. Within this letter, you will be given instructions on how to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) and you must do this within 10 days of entering the UK.

Can I study on another visa?

This depends on what visa category you hold. Below is a list of common visa categories:

Standard Visitor Visa

If you have a valid standard visitor visa and as long as it is not the main reason for your visit, you are permitted by UKVI to study for up to 30 days. This period of study can be taken in one go or over a number of shorter periods at an accredited institution such as CSL.


If you are a dependant of a valid Tier 1, 2, 4 or 5 holder, you are permitted to study.

Electronic Visa Waiver

Nationals from Kuwait, Oman, Qatar or United Arab Emirates can enter the UK with an Electronic Visa Waiver (EVW). You are allowed to study for up to 6 months on this visa and must apply at least 48 hours before you travel.

Police Registration

If your visa states that you need to register with the Police, as soon as you arrive in the UK, please inform our Welfare and Accommodation Officer who will help you book an appointment.

bottom of page